Friday, May 30, 2014

Ch-ch-ch-ch Changes


When I examined my life earlier this year, I realized that there's a million different areas where I needed change.   It was almost overwhelming.  I remember telling my wife. Lori, that I knew I needed to change, but wasn't sure where to start or even how to start, but until I found those answers I was just going to do the right thing in every situation.
After thinking about it for a while, I discovered that each of the changes I need to make can be covered under four sections:

     1.  Mental
     2.  Physical
     3.  Spiritual
     4.  Financial

These cross over at times, too. For example, if I get in good physical condition, it will help with the mental and spiritual areas of my life, as well.  And sharpening up mentally could really help with financial changes.

Today I'm going to write about 'Mental Changes'.

I think we all change mentally, constantly, depending on how we spend our time.
I've spent too much time in front of the television soaking up worthless entertainment and going backwards, in some cases, mentally.  Plus, watching tv usually involves sitting.  Not good physically.
I still watch tv, but not as much.

I've always been a bookworm, and reading is a great way to stay sharp mentally, but just like with television, there's a lot of worthless entertainment (or just plain false info) in book form.
I'm going to be much more picky about my books.  There are plenty of educational books that are also entertaining.  I'm going to focus on these from now on.

I'm also a huge fan of a comedy radio show and I used to listen to this exclusivly when working, driving or exercising.  Seriously, it's all I listened to.  I subscribed to their online club and downloaded their show daily.  Four hours.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  They are fun to hear.  But I could listen to a bit less comedy and more motivational and/or educational podcasts.  TedTalks is an awesome alternative, as well as some other really good podcasts.

What it boils down to is this:  I have free time.  How I choose to spend that time will either help me learn, or forget (the opposite of learning).  Here's a little chart I've created to show my point:

Making wise choices on entertainment and relaxing free time will go a long way with helping me to change for the better.
That's one quick and instant way we can all change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment